Vegan Sweet Radish (หัวไชโป๊วหวาน)

by - March 31, 2014

Sweet radish is my husband's favorite food. Every week, I have to make sweet radish for him to go with steamed rice plus other dishes I cooked. Besides, I love to add it in Pad Thai and other stir fried dishes. The sweet radish tastes so refreshing and super delicious for him. The happiest moment being a home cook is when your family enjoys the foods you make....I am no exception.   
    
Though the sweet radish is easily obtainable in Tokyo, I sill prefer a home made version. I want three things from my food : I want to know what's in it; I want a rich natural favor; and I want to feel some measure of self reliance. The global supermarkets can't give me any of these things. Home food preservation can. Besides that food preservation can save both money and calories. 


This recipe calls for only few ingredients. The first thing you need is really fresh Japanese white radish (Daikon). If you own garden isn't big enough to grow extra, check out nearby farmer's market or bulk buying from a local grower. The seasonings are salt, soy sauce and brown sugar, which I believe you already have in your pantry. 

Making sweet radish does take time but there is nothing difficult about the process, just a series of little jobs. With a few helpers, you can set up an assembly line and enjoy a day of conversation. Below is my vegan sweet radish recipe

Ingredients
1/2 Japanese white radish (Daikon)
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon Thai light soy sauce
2 tablespoon + 2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
2 tablespoon white distilled vinegar 

1 tablespoon vegetable oil for stir frying

Preparation
1. Peel of the daikon and cut into thin strip, sprinkle with salt. Let sit for half an hour, then squeeze off the liquid from the daikon. Sundry it for 2 days. 

2. Bring vinegar, Thai light soy sauce and sugar to a simmer, cook until the sugar all dissolves. Add in the daikon, transfer it and the marinate to an air tight container, keep in the fridge for 2 days.

3. Bring the daikon from the fridge. Heat the frying pan with oil, stir fry the daikon until the liquid is almost all evaporated. Let cool, transfer to an air tight container. The sweet radish keeps well in the fridge for several weeks but enjoy soon. 


   

You May Also Like

0 comments