Pineapple Fried Rice (ข้าวผัดสับปะรด)

by - January 11, 2015


Christmas and New Year just flew right by, didn't it. Of course the days have been an absolute hurricane at my house, however, today I manage to get a few things in order (sort of). Between all the holiday roasts and New Year toasts, I don't know about you, but I prefer some simple flavorful dishes. Pineapple Fried Rice (ข้าวผัดสับปะรด) fits the bill and is the prefect example of the kind of high in flavor, low effort dishes I love to make around this time of the year. 

There are two secrets to scrumptious pineapple fried rice. First is good pineapple. I like to use fresh ones every time  I made the dish since they're rather an inexpensive fruit that stay crisp for several days. Whereas, the canned pineapple is a bit too sweet with a softer texture and lacks of natural juice to my taste. Fresh pineapple not only gives the fried rice sweet and sour taste but also the wonderful tender texture to the dish. So I highly recommend you to use fresh pineapple. 


Second, is the rice. Please use overnight cooked long grain riceand I highly suggest you to do so.  The overnight (or cooked earlier) rice has a chance to dry out a bit in the fridge. The heat and the seasoning will re-steam and hydrate it. Also, the amount of pineapple juice is unpredictable, if you try to use freshly cooked rice, you will end up with very soggy and clumpy fried rice like a downpour rained down on your wok. 

Below is my pineapple fried rice recipe
          Ingredients 
200 grams overnight cooked long grain rice
80 grams chicken thigh, cut into bite size pieces
40 grams onion, diced
50 grams pineapple cut into small pieces
1/2 tablespoon Thai garlic, minced
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon Thai light soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon sugar 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/2 cube Knorr bouillon cube
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/3 cup mixed nuts
Preparation

1.Heat up a wok with oil, add in garlic. Stir fry until it's fragrant. Add in onion. When the onion is cooked add in chicken. 
2.When the chicken is cooked. Add in rice, season with light soy sauce, sugar, curry powder,bouillon cube, and salt. Stir to combine.
4. Add in pineapple and nuts. Do few quick stirs. Remove from heat, sprinkle with pepper. Serve immediately. 

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. This is my son's favorite dish to order at a Thai restaurant. He LOVES pineapple and rice... so this combination is like a heaven for him. :D I should make it at home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nami
    The dish is so easy beyond belief to make so I highly recommend you to try making it at home. :-)

    ReplyDelete